Saturday, February 16, 2013

A Date Night in the 'Burg

*DISCLAIMER*
99% of these pictures are from google images.
Someone might look at me kinda weird if I whipped on my DSLR (aka big) camera while at a crowded restaurant at 10 pm on a Saturday night.. or not.
The dessert picture was, in fact, taken on my iPhone :)

I needed to get out of Morgantown.  I needed a trip.  I needed a new iPhone.  Hence, I "pricelined" (a new verb I created) a hotel and it was done.  Forrest and I hadn't been out of town for awhile and I decided it was time.  As a plus, I realized it was the weekend before Valentine's Day- so as a bonus I think Forrest was *extra* nice regarding our plans as he works late and won't be home the 14th before I fall asleep.

Anyways, I received lots of great restaurant recommendations.  I quickly read an article that highlighted the top 25 restaurants in Pittsburgh.  (Many of the suggestions were listed! I must have some classy friends with good taste (; ).

I found a restaurant called "Meat and Potatoes" which seemed to fit Forrest's requirements of lots of steak options and my requirements of a "foodie" quality to the menu.  I should have called immediately for reservations, but instead I called a few days prior.  They were almost completely booked!!

After checking into the hotel and a well deserved nap, we headed to the lobby bar for a few drinks.  About an hour before our reservation, we walked to the restaurant about 0.5 miles away.  It was windy & cold, but I toughed it out in my heels :D

The place is not huge, decorated with deer heads and large rustic chandelier pieces.  We again, surprise, sat at the bar while we waited for our table.  They have interesting cocktails... even one with rosemary I wished I had tried but instead I chose a drink that included a new favorite liquor called St. Germaine's (made in France,  elderflower and tropical flavors) and get this---- Pat's Blue Ribbon.  Topped with a cucumber and orange peel.  Tasty!  I wasn't  bold enough to try the drink with egg whites.  Good way to get a little extra protein though!!!

We ordered the meat and potatoes for two which A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.  If you know me, you know I don't eat a lot of meat.  Mainly not a lot of red meat.  It was a special night so I figured why not.  It was the best meal of our lives.  Okay so that's pretty serious, but the meal was serious.  It came out on a large (took up the length of the small round table!) wooden cutting board.  The meat was placed diagonally across the wooden board, and bone included it spanned the whole thing!!!  It was 32 ounces! It was covered in some type of worcestershire glaze and mushrooms.  A homemade vinegar based steak sauce was available for dipping.  It came with confit fries (this means they were fried in duck fat instead of oil) which were tasty, and bone marrow.  Yes, a large cross section of a femur with bone marrow you scrape out.  It had a cheesy/bread crumb mixture on top.  We had ordered a bottle of wine, so by that time I was a bit not of a normal mind and I actually liked bone marrow.  Phew, there I said it.  It kinda tasted like rich butter.  Really.  I don't think if I wasn't 3 drinks deep I would have loved it as much as I loved the flavor of the meat.  Forrest was like a kind in the candy store.  As he ate, he just kept looking up at me and smiling.  It was pretty cute.

If you are a meat lover, or even if you aren't - this is a place to try if you are in Pittsburgh.  Get a reservation early because it is a newer, trendier place that fills up quickly.

We, of course, had dessert.  We Forrest is training for a half marathon.  I'm trying to train but not making huge steps in progress....Nevertheless, we try to only get dessert on a special occasion.  Eat healthy 80% of the time and 20% of the time cheat a bit but don't get out of hand.


It didn't get a before picture.  :)

As soon as we got home - an open house was about to begin.  We are selling our townhouse that we built 4 years ago.  A close friend & neighbor was so kind and lent me his house for a boudoir session Sunday afternoon.

Well, that was my weekend in a nutshell!!  Hope everyone else's was productive and perhaps not as jam packed as mine :D




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Kassandra Olgers Photography

Website Design by CoffeeShop Designs